Skip to main content

General Ideas and Feature Requests

General questions and feedback on Microsoft's Quantum Developer Kit

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. LiH Simulation Error

I am on MacOS. While "dotnet run" on unmodified version of "LithiumHydrideGUI" I am getting the following unhandled exception as File Not Found for 'Quantum-release-v0.3.1810/Chemistry/LithiumHydrideGUI/..\IntegralData\YAML\LiHData\integrals_lih_sto-3g_0.800.nw.out.yaml'. I do see that the file is very much present in the directory one level up that is at "Chemistry" folder. Please let me know how to fix this. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Quantum Katas

Is there any material around that can help with working through this? For example, in the BasicGates solution I've completed the first three but I'm completely lost after that. I can't see any examples of how to use the other gates (beyond X, H and Z) in the documentation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Each of the katas has pointers to places where you can learn the concepts that are being tested. If you really get stuck, you can also look at the referenceimplementation file which shows you the solution. We continue to add to the Katas with additional tests that teach quantum skills.

3. Q# Visual Studio for Mac does not seem to work as vsix files are not supported

Followed instructions online, Q# VS extension download is only vsix -- apparently not supported by VS for Mac:
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/67655/cant-install-vsix-to-vs-for-mac.html

This is not mentioned anywhere in your documentation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Final Paper tips..

Hello

I'm a graduate student and I'm getting ready to do my Final Paper.

I'm interested in quantum computing and the Microsoft kit.

Some research areas interested me very much and I would like the community's opinion on these topics:

- Construction of a layer similar to micro programming (analogous to what happens with the classical hierarchy at the next level above the logic gates)

- Use of smarter algorithms (for example, use of sparse matrices) to optimize memory usage in quantum matrices.

- Creation of libraries that encapsulate details of quantum algorithms (Shor and Grover), to allow them to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Framework for generalized measurements

It would be great if one could perform measurements other than Pauli bases, like arbitrary projection-valued or positive-operator valued measurements.

If this is somehow possible with only currently available measurement operations, it would be great if that were explained somewhere.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

General projective measurements can be implemented by transforming the state, performing a Pauli-basis measurement, and undoing the transformation. POVMs can also be implemented, although in general the use of ancilla qubits is required.

Generally, quantum algorithms are written in terms of measurements in the computational (Pauli Z) basis, since most types of quantum computers only offer this specific measurement. For Q#, we’ve expanded this to all Pauli bases and to arbitrary multi-qubit measurements.

Extending to general POVMs isn’t something we’ve seen a need for until your request. If there are a large number of upvotes, we’ll consider adding library routines for generalized measurements — or perhaps you or someone else will write these routines and contribute them?

6. Matrix Transformation Visualisation

I'm fairly new to this stuff but reading the docs and various blog posts it can get difficult following the various transformations such as |00> goes to |01> and such like. I've found https://www.symbolab.com/solver/matrix-calculator is quite helpful for checking them out in matrix/vector notation. There are other sites but this one is fairly easy to use (mandatory ads for free version though).

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Practical implementation of Grover's algorithm for database search

I'm looking for a practical implementation of Grover's algorithm to search data in real-life databases. The DatabaseSearchSample project in the Q# Quantum Development Kit Preview is too far away from reality and doesn’t even access a real database. I kindly ask for suggestions and code snippets. Thx!

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Training

I know there is the online material but.. It's assement time again at work and I wondered if any one knew of a provider for a one week off-site Q# and QC introduction course. Then I could get work to send me and then I would have no work interruptions.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Some Project include "H₂" in *.sln can not be load Correctly

Project("{2150E333-8FDC-42A3-9474-1A3956D46DE8}") = "H₂ Simulation", "H₂ Simulation", "{461F5123-AB62-4FDE-8964-EE4A952BAFC2}"
    EndProject

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Quantum circuit execution on Azure qubits vs. computer

Unable to locate operational procedures to let my quantum decision science circuits use qubit in Azure vs. qubits on my surface book pro.
    Please advise.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bug in BindAImpl (body part)

The following code causes a Runtime exception:

operation ExampleBindAFails() : Bool {
    body {
    mutable result = false;
    using (qubits = Qubit[6]) {
    let Hs = ApplyToEachA(H, _);
    let Zs = ApplyToEachA(Z, _);

With(BindA([Hs; Zs; Hs]), Hs, qubits);
    }
    return result;
    }
    }

And driver:

var r = ExampleBindAFails.Run(sim).Result;

Runtime exception is:

System.MissingMethodException: 'Constructor on type 'System.ValueTuple`2[[Microsoft.Quantum.Simulation.Core.QArray`1[[Microsoft.Quantum.Simulation.Core.ICallable, Microsoft.Quantum.Simulation.Core, Version=0.1.1801.1707, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40866b40fd95c7f5]], Microsoft.Quantum.Simulation.Core, Version=0.1.1801.1707, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40866b40fd95c7f5],[Microsoft.Quantum.Simulation.Core.QArray`1[[Microsoft.Quantum.Simulation.Core.Qubit, Microsoft.Quantum.Simulation.Core, Version=0.1.1801.1707, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40866b40fd95c7f5]], Microsoft.Quantum.Simulation.Core, Version=0.1.1801.1707, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40866b40fd95c7f5]]' not found.'

If I don't request the result, i.e., the driver code is

ExampleBindAFails.Run(sim);

no exception is thrown in

Bind.qs at line 56. If we past lines…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. .qs files

So, whoever is making these .qs sample files needs to use regular Intellisense rules for their comments so Intellisense works within the C# control code. Consider your first example, the TeleportationSample. IntelliSense has no idea what the TeleportClassicMessage type is on this line:

var received = TeleportClassicalMessage.Run(sim, sent).Result;

because in TeleportationSample.qs, the comments describing this operation do not follow the IntelliSense syntax of

/// <summary>
    ///
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="args"></param>

and also because the .qs file type is unknown by Visual Studio, so your Visual Studio Extensibility solution needs to be modified to make that happen.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

General Ideas and Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base